[OccupyComms] [Occupy London] Re: [rdwg] Debate about Party / Electoral Coalition Building ( while keeping our autonomy intact!!! )

Anna Harris anna at shsh.co.uk
Sat Oct 6 14:48:17 GMT 2012

HI All,

Can we keep the D2015 debate a bit separate from the Occupy one, I think
there are different issues relevant to each?

Re the D2015 statement on fb: this is a good beginning but
the debate that is going on about it on fb feels very much like the point
scoring debate that goes on in Parliament. We need to begin to feel that we
are building something together rather than 'I'm right and you're wrong'.

b) 1). The aim - *to address the decline in faith in elected
politicians.*This decline is a reflection of the realisation that the
politicians to do
not serve the people. So our aim should be to *make sure that politicians
serve the people.*

111) 2. *They agree to adhere to the manifesto*.  This sounds like
candidates are being asked to 'toe the party line' whether they agree or
not. Opinions may change after the manifesto is created. We want people who
sincerely believe in what they are doing, not ones who act as robots.

c) i)* The integrity of the parliamentary system* cannot be maintained
until we acknowledge that people come before profit. This involves
*caring*for people in a way which acknowledges that
* this is what government is about*. (you notice the lack of women involved
in the discussion)
The following article puts foward policies which could be the foundation of
such an approach:
http://transitionvoice.com/2012/09/manifesto-for-a-post-growth-economy/

 iv) It is unecessarily insulting to call the population '*apathetic*'.
They have every reason not to want to be involved in the farce which
maintains the illusion that politicians are there to serve their interests.

Agree with Ben that politicians should be prepared to work for subsistence
pay.

More later,
anna