[OccupyComms] 4th Occupy UK and Ireland National Conference announcement

Occupy Southend contactus at occupysouthend.org
Sat Mar 24 14:33:12 GMT 2012

Hi, this is Neil Starkey from Occupy Southend. Please could you announce the 4th National Conference to all those on the email list. Thanks comms! Details as follows for the email that needs to go out:

"Occupy Southend is pleased to announce the hosting of the next National Conference on Friday 13th, Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th April. Southend has a rich history of long-term protest camps and is well placed to deliver a first rate conference. Our permanent camp at the disused Lookers car showroom car park on Priory Crescent sits adjacent to the world renowned burial site of the Saxon King Sebert. Following discovery and excavation of the tomb in 2003 the insensitive local council planned to widen the road past the site, impacting on the grave. One hundred and sixteen trees in the nearby park also came under threat. These two issues sparked a four and a half year full time occupation of the site by local campaigners, ending in victory over the Council. As a testament to the commitment shown by the occupiers of the Saxon King site, Occupy Southend will be theming the entertainment around the Saxon period.

Over the next 5 days everyone's invited to join together and help develop the agenda for the conference on Pirate Pad - http://piratepad.net/CKfEJYREa1 What would you like to see on the agenda? Which speakers do you feel we can benefit from? Which subjects do we need to address right now? Can we make discussion panels work? What priority do we give to skill sharing? What types of workshops would you like to see on the agenda? The end date for input on Pirate Pad will be Thursday 29th March.

Please RSVP your intention to attend as soon as possible together with your food requirements. We'll be catering for vegans and meat eaters alike.
Our site offers a very large area to camp on and at present we have 12 tents on the ground, one bender, one 'meet and greet' tent, and a 900 sq ft undercover communal area. Other facilities will be added for the conference.
Transport links are as follows:
By Rail

Two direct rail lines operate between London and Southend - Fenchurch Street to Southend Central (c2c line) and Liverpool Street to Southend Victoria (National Express). The journey time on both lines is approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour.

By Road

Two major roads - the A127 and A13 link Southend to the M25. From the north Southend is accessible via the A1, M11, M25 (Junction 29 - 20 miles) & A127. From the south, Southend is reached via the M25 (Junction 30 - 26 miles) Dartford Tunnel & A13.

By Coach

National Express operates to/from London Victoria, with the '305' service connecting to Southend. The journey time is approximately 2 to 2½ hours.

By Bus

An extensive network of buses operates between Southend-on-Sea's Travel Centre just off the High Street in and around Southend and surrounding towns.
The First X30 runs hourly 7 days a week from London Stansted Airport into Southend Travel Centre.

The conference at Occupy Southend comes at a key moment in time for the Occupy Movement in the UK and Ireland, and will be an important contributor to its future direction and purpose. With our usual focus and enthusiasm we can leave the conference with one united voice, stronger, bolder and more determined than ever to bring equality and peace to this world."