[OccupyComms] [OccupySheffieldPrivate] Article on Julian Assange Case & U.S Human Rights!

Mary Charlie Hallam mary.c.hallam at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 16:03:47 GMT 2012

Woah, wait, what? What does the prosecution and legal status of one
individual have to do with the global mission of Occupy? Assange is not
Wikileaks embodied. Let's not waste our time and energy on one person when
we have far more urgent tasks.

For example, this week there has been a renewed focus in the UK media on
tax due to a number of celebrities having their tax affairs aired in
public. Our time would be much better spent focussing and publicising on
this issue which could have much wider implications.

This strategy also has the advantage of not supporting a possible rapist,
which is surely awkward to do whilst remaining compliant with the safer
spaces policy all UK Occupy camps adopted at the Edinburgh conference in
December.

Sorry for the rant guys, but I feel that this is a diversion from the
mission of Occupy, and could make us an unsafe space.

Solidarity,
Fearlessknits