[OccupyComms] Move Your Money: Tactical Briefing

occupybristol at riseup.net occupybristol at riseup.net
Tue Nov 22 13:33:18 GMT 2011

I write as an individual, I do not represent the Bristol camp.

Hopefully by now you will have heard about our nationwide Day of action on
December 2nd: www.moveyourmoney.org.uk

We should be clear in all our communications on this subject that this is
simply the first of many campaigns to come out of Occupy Bristol, and the
Occupy UK movement.

It is not a demand. We will not engage with demands at this stage. If you
have not yet read it I would strongly encourage you to read this document
"The tactic of occupation, and the movement of the 99%" It's a bit America
centric which can be a bit annoying, but the points are strong:
http://beyondthechoir.org/diary/117/the-tactic-of-occupation-the-movement-of-the-99

Move your money is simply a holding answer to the "what are you going to
do? What are you hoping to achieve?" Question.

It gives us two weeks breathing space to think about more inspiring &
creative ideas and tactics. It allows us to answer: "This week we are
promoting www.moveyourmoney.org.uk, Next week we will be doing something
more inspiring and creative, watch this space.

So what am I  asking the other occupations to do?

* Mention it in your press interviews.

* Put the button on your websites using this embed code:

src="http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6232/6382804057_212e5345df.jpg" alt=""
width="200" /></a>

It goes nicely into Wordpress>Appearances>Widgets>Text/HTML-sidebar. (Save
the image locally if you don't want to leak IP addresses to flickr, change
the size by editing the 200 figure.)

* Mention & link to it at least once a day on both facebook and twitter.

* Mention & link to it when commenting on threads on mainstream media
websites.

* Mention & link to it on local email lists.

* Design and share fliers to promote the day.

* Take part in nationwide actions at midday on Sat 26th November to
promote the day. Do a press release about it. (see attached contacts list,
a bit Bristol-centric, but some useful national contacts too)

* Research and contribute to the spreadsheet of where organisations who
should know better bank: http://moveyourmoney.org.uk/how-to-help/

* Use the above spreadsheet to put pressure on specific organisations of
your choice

* Help us research HSBC http://moveyourmoney.org.uk/hsbc/ and send
information to: occupybristol at riseup.net

* Suggest content, changes to the website.

* Consider making a specific call to your local council:
http://moveyourmoney.org.uk/2011/11/22/bristol-city-council-put-your-money-where-your-mouth-is/

* Forward this email to everyone who you think should see it.

In solidarity

Luther

(one of Occupy Bristol)