[OccupyComms] Occupy UK communication

Occupy Norwich occupynorwich.contact at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 10:50:44 GMT 2011

Hi Occupy Groups!

This is a great move, we desperately need some national coordination.

With regards to an open versus closed mailing list: I think if this is our
   internal communication tool between occupy groups it should be a closed
   group or open if that still means people have to apply to become a member
   and see messages, because we don't want governments, police or other
uninvited
   bodies spy on our plannings.

   We (Occupy Norwich media group) are planning to set up an Occupy UK
website to function as
   national hub, but want to make sure this plan is not already in the
   pipeline by some other Occupy group (and it is also £30 per year). The
idea is to have a geographical map with all the groups placed on it and
links to their websites/facebook/twitter etc as well as communication
contacts for us, media and the public. We need to be as quick and efficient
as possible in our responses when something urgent comes up (like yesterday
when the BBC was looking for an Occupy spokesperson to say something on the
police's plan to use rubber bullets but couldn't find anyone). It would
also be good to have a blog option on the website for updates for which I
think it would be great if each group could designate at least one person
to update regularly. And maybe we could have this email address as the
Occupy UK contact, or should we maybe better set up an individual one
governed by a group/individual with enough time and ressources to look
after it 24/7? What do you think?

I think it's best to discuss via this email list, but please feel free to
contact me with regards to Occup UK and national coordination via the
Occupy Norwich email (occupynorwich.contact at gmail.com), or my personal one (
v.buth at uea.ac.uk) if you like. I would be very happy to discuss ideas,
suggestions, objections and want to make sure we are all on board. This is
an amazing movement of solidarity and resistance, let's make a real change
together.

   Also, does someone have a list of all the occupy groups in the UK? When
I went to London last Saturday they had not even heard of Occupy Norwich
and I think this just stresses how important better communication amongst
us is. They have asked me to make a list of all groups.

   Thank you once again for setting this up Sheffiled! : ).

Best
  Vanessa, Occupy Norwich - Global Liaison Workshop