[OccupyComms] Occupy Bath camp to end on Saturday

Standing Stone standingstonesblog at hotmail.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 12:14:12 GMT 2011

Dear Occupiers,

It is with regret that Occupy Bath will be taking down the camp this weekend. Unfortunately numbers have been low and sometimes the camp has been left unattended over the last week. We want to go out while all still being friends and willing to work with each other and push this movement forward. Over the last few weeks our main focus has been on keeping the camp going, rather than trying to change the world. People have been put off coming to the camp because when they do they are often left there on their own for hours, unable to head off and go to work/uni/whatever. We feel that we can still continue to do Occupy-realted activities and focus our efforts on things like the Bath People's Assembly and a few other projects that we have in mind better without having a camp. We'll all still be meeting regularly, and those that still want to camp out occasionally will be visiting our friends and neighbours in Bristol more often. It's not the end for the community we have started here in Bath - we're only just getting started, and there a lot of dedicated people. We have issued the following press release:

"Today
 is the 41st day of Occupy Baths Queens Square camp. During that time we
 have set up and maintained a functioning community with an open and
friendly atmosphere which has provided a space for discussion and debate.
 We have been talking to many people
from all walks of life about the financial, governmental and societal
problems in the world today. Through our public General Assembly’s we
have shown there really are alternatives to the current corrupt system,
in terms of how to organise society.
 To date, Occupy Bath has been
an exciting and engaging community project. We have held numerous talks,
 lectures and workshops, public debates, live music events and provided
activities for children and families and had positive and productive
engagements with the people of Bath. We have also given rise to the Bath
 Peoples Assembly.
 In order to focus our efforts and energy on more
 constructive community projects such as the Bath Peoples Assembly, we
have decided to end our current camp at Queens Square and move on to the
 next phase in our plans.
 The Queens Square camp has been a great
success, far surpassing our hopes and expectations and long out lasting
our initial 12 day plan. We would like to say a HUGE thank you to
everyone who has shown their support, made donations, or taken the time
to join us on camp.
 We continue to stand in solidarity with our
friends in occupied cities around the world. The occupy movement
continues to grow day by day and by moving on to our second phase, we
hope to show that Occupy Bath is taking a leading role in showing what
the occupy movement is about and what it can achieve long term.
 This is only the beginning"