[Hazelhurst-Newsletter] Fwd: Hazelhurst AGM and proposal for the future

naomi.hazelhurst.coop naomi at hazelhurst.coop
Thu Sep 5 10:17:09 GMT 2013

 Apologies if you get this twice .... I don't manage the email lists and
 the person who does is on holiday. Don't want to miss anyone out. See
 below:

 Dear Hazelhurst CSA Member,

 Our AGM will take place between 6:30 and 9pm on Thursday 26th September
 at the Old Sharrow Junior School on South View Road.
 Hazelhurst Management Committee would like to give notice that they are
 proposing a resolution to partly change the way that the CSA operates.
 Voting on this resolution (as well as election of the committee) will
 take place at the AGM. More information about the proposed resolution is
 given below.

 Hazelhurst CSA is now into its second main growing year. We have
 managed to produce abundant harvests and have had the pleasure of
 working with many volunteers. In keeping with its aims, the CSA has
 enabled many people to access fresh local organic food and we’ve been
 supplying the Gleadless Valley Foodbank with excess produce this season.
 The Management Committee feels however that there are two substantive
 threats to the future success of the CSA.

 The first threat is the financial viability of the Co-op, both in the
 medium and short-term. We continue to struggle to break even and will
 probably make a bigger-than-expected loss this year. This is primarily
 due to the difficulty of maintaining enough Veg bag customers but is
 also partly due to very late crops.

 The other barrier to our success is the lack of people prepared to take
 on managing roles within the CSA. Under the current CSA structure, these
 roles demand a large and regular time-commitment and so this lack of
 enthusiasm is perhaps understandable. There are many key roles that are
 currently not filled and this makes the CSA unsustainable in terms of
 people capacity.

 As a result of these obstacles, the Management Committee are proposing
 not to renew the contract to employ our grower that ends in Jan 2014. We
 propose instead to purchase produce from Huw Evans and Martin Bradshaw,
 two of the other independent growers forming part of Sheffield Organic
 Growers  (SOGs - http://www.sheffieldorganicgrowers.co.uk.) SOGs
 occupies the same field that Hazelhurst currently rents part of and some
 of the bought-in veg for the veg bags already comes from these on-site
 growers.  We hope that Huw and Martin will speak about SOGs at our AGM.
 The growers are keen to allow us to maintain our interests in outreach
 initiatives and we intend to continue to offer volunteers opportunities
 to get involved with land-based projects and to keep the connection with
 the land. We will employ a Veg bag Co-ordinator to handle all the veg
 bag aspects of the Co-op.

 Making these decisions has of course been difficult but the Management
 Committee feels this is the only viable option to ensure the CSA
 continues to operate in the longer term.  We hope you will come to the
 AGM to hear more about the proposal and to vote on the future direction
 of your CSA. Elections of the Management Committee will also take place
 at the AGM. The posts currently up for election are Treasurer and
 Financial Planner but we would welcome anyone who wishes to join the
 Management Committee without portfolio (without a specific role).

 Best Wishes
 The Hazelhurst CSA Management Committee