[freearchitecture] VectorSection

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Wed May 3 09:12:09 BST 2006

# from Steve Hall
# on Tuesday 02 May 2006 07:18 pm:

>If I'm designing a new CAD software, not only is my file format
>changing, but also the vector I'm making to the hub. But it seems that
>the hub would always be developing faster than any one project, since
>it has to react to each vector. But I need the hub to stand still for
>a development cycle and be stable for any particular release I may
>have. At the same time, I may also want another version available to
>match a third app on the same host.

The intent is that the hub structure be basically frozen at some point.
Hopefully, this is able to express everything that you need in your
software (or at least be extended by your software without disrupting
other apps.)  This assumes that you do indeed save directly to the hub
format (ultimately, that's what everyone should do.)

Note that there is not simply one hub.  That would either be too
complicated or too simple to be universally useful.  Bridging between
hubs allows sane connection of diverse apps (such as 3D surface
modelers and 2D desktop graphics) to the extent that such a connection
makes sense.  IE, you may want a projection of outlines from
3ds/.blend/vrml to a dxf or svg format.  You could certainly take only
the 3D faces (sans textures and animation) into dxf, but 3D doesn't
exist in svg or pdf.

At the moment, it is just an underfunded file converter :-)  Once
existing data and programs are reasonably connected, we can work out
exactly what it takes to achieve real interoperability.  Yes, that
probably means iterating the hub format a few times, but ultimately
they just become bridged from older versions (see for example sqlite 2
vs 3.)

--Eric
--
As an old bass player friend of mine used to say: throw money, don't
clap.