[freearchitecture] Blender-Developments

Steve Hall digitect at mindspring.com
Wed May 3 02:45:40 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 19:05 -0700, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> Hmm. I wonder what a python hacker could do about that? :-) Chris
> Somerlot has already made some progress with the rhizopod <->
> pythoncad connection for VectorSection (previously known as the
> uber-converter.) (Note: "rhizopod" is VectorSection's YAML hub
> datastructure format used for dxf and pythoncad data (as well as ogr
> atm) (later dgn, dwg, and possibly something involving NC
> machinery.))
>
>   http://scratchcomputing.com/projects/vectorsection/
>
> Now to just get blender to load and dump that YAML data with some
> python code. This would also enable an alternative to the existing
> dxf input for blender. I'm told that you can even fire-off python
> extensions on the command-line and work directly with a .blend file.

I totally missed this project had grown into VectorSection, thanks for
keeping us in the loop. IMO, this is one of those important projects
whose developers will labor for years to generate the necessary
infrastrature we all need, only to be overshadowed by the first fast
fingered smooth talker to slap a GUI on it and take all the credit.

Ah, but those of us here will know what really happened.

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect mindspring com ]
:: Cream... something good to put in your Vim!