[freearchitecture] Blender-Developments

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue May 2 03:05:08 BST 2006

# from Steve Hall
# on Monday 01 May 2006 06:04 pm:

>I've watched this, but it is going to take a number of strong
>developers with a clear understanding of the differences between
>modeling software and 3D CAD. (2D CAD being dead and all. :)

Seems like a good assessment.

><sigh> I wish there was a way to combine PythonCAD and Blender. Both
>use Python, and both have elements that architects need. If they could
>somehow develop towards each other, we could have a technical drafting
>program and a 3D architectural modeler with everything in between.
>(That in-between stuff being the 2. ? between 1. Idea and 2. Profit.

Hmm.  I wonder what a python hacker could do about that?  :-) Chris
Somerlot has already made some progress with the rhizopod <-> pythoncad
connection for VectorSection (previously known as the uber-converter.)
(Note: "rhizopod" is VectorSection's YAML hub datastructure format used
for dxf and pythoncad data (as well as ogr atm) (later dgn, dwg, and
possibly something involving NC machinery.))

  http://scratchcomputing.com/projects/vectorsection/

Now to just get blender to load and dump that YAML data with some python
code.  This would also enable an alternative to the existing dxf input
for blender.  I'm told that you can even fire-off python extensions on
the command-line and work directly with a .blend file.

--Eric
--
Turns out the optimal technique is to put it in reverse and gun it.
--Steven Squyres (on challenges in interplanetary robot navigation)