[freearchitecture] Presentation to the list and some ideas

Steve Hall digitect at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 22 01:03:39 BST 2003

On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 21:47, Vicente J. Ruiz Jurado wrote:

> Personally, I'm interested in free knowledge about architecture (not
> only free software about architecture). I poor example:
> http://opendesigns.ourproject.org/article.php3?id_article=10 I don't
> know the opinion of the rest of the list about Free Architectural
> Knowledge.

Yes, I hope this list can remain as broad as possible. While I'm
interested in software design and physical design such as the example
you give, I'd also like to see us resolve the world's architectural
problems related to intellectual property rights, project management,
building codes, inspection criteria, detail sharing, scheduling,
documentation, etc. Architects should be comfortable here, not just
software developers.

> I'm also thinking about how we can make an archiforge, and I'll
> write to the list in the future about a posible solution.

I think this is where we took a detour some time ago. We couldn't
decide what the best format to upload files would be, since basically
.dwg and .dxf are proprietary AutoCAD formats. Although they've both
been reverse engineered often enough to probably qualify as a
standard, I don't think anybody is convinced they are optimal in any
way. Plus we'll immediately get into a versioning crisis. So I guess
we're on hold until Bruno convinces the other list to develop around
his CAD format nirvana. ;)

--
Steve Hall  [ digitect at mindspring.com ]