[freearchitecture] CVS, versioning and workflow

digitect at mindspring.com digitect at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 12 12:17:16 GMT 2003

on 2/12/2003 7:07 AM Chris Croome said the following:

> On Wed 12-Feb-2003 at 12:01:37 -0500, Steve Hall wrote:
>
> > 3. Moderated posting system. (http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/)
> >    * Files are versioned via copies, all users can contribute new
> >      versions.
> >    * Old versions remain, but can be cleaned off by submitter.
> >    * Files are graded based on user moderation. (One must have a
> >      login to moderate.)
> >    * Thinning out or cancellation of redundancies might occur
> >      automatically based on moderated grades or by an editor.
> >
> >    Benefits:  Little restrictions to add, most versions available.
> >               Occasional re-organizations and editing doesn't curb
> >               community interest and ownership.
> >
> >    Drawbacks: Large quantities of information require assisting
> >               organization. Potential for low overall quality of
> >               the collection, but might be offset by community
> >               interest.
>
> That sounds good to me :-)
>
> My only concern would be around the issue of finding the time and
> energy to dedicate to the project to make it a sucess, but I guess
> if we find enough people interested in this then we should be able
> to make it happen.
>
> Perhaps we should register archiforge.org|net|com and start doing
> some planning.

Wow, a search for "archiforge" on Google turns up no items. (Didn't
think that was possible.)

I've found the SourceForge a reasonable alternative to self hosting.
We could get "archiforge.sourceforge.net" and about 40mb for free.
Their service offers PHP, Perl and MySQL by default.

There's probably also some open source portal applications we could
use. (Frankly, the www.vim.org engine would probably suffice to get
started.) We could leave off thumbnailing just to get up an running.
I'd like to see if we could get a decent collection going before
getting glitzy. (BTW, I really like the http://www.webarchitects.co.uk
approach to CSS and HTML standards, speed and striking look, hats off
to you guys.)

Chances are there will be plenty of file format and the other
standards issues to work out before we get the portal idea going. I'm
extremely short on time myself, so a generic file-stasher with
descriptions would be fine for now. Continuing mails here can get the
real work done--standardization and making it all Free.

Steve Hall  [ |digitect|AT|mindspring|DOT|com| ]