[esocialaction] Websites for the Women's Movement

Chris Bailey chrisbailey at socialrights.org
Thu Jul 6 10:19:03 BST 2006

 From the current issue of Linux Magazine:

The web design experience of Perline (France/ Brazil), Joëlle Palmieri’s
(France) inside knowledge of the needs of women’s NGOs worldwide, and an
automation tool provided by Mathieu Lutfy (Quebec/ Bulgaria) have turned
a four-year-old dream come true. Automasites is a good example for how a
team of three people can provide a sustainable solution for building a
website with “several mouse-clicks”. Based on the SPIP publishing system
and other open source software, and hosted with non-commercial
providers, the Automasites project provides independence for women’s
organizations.

"We have used our experience in a number of training sessions in Eastern
Europe and Brazil to identify the most important feature of our project
– to train people to be autonomous", says Joëlle.

The idea arose back in 2002 when it became clear that women initiatives
needed a forum if they wanted to be heard through the Internet. SPIP has
made it easier to publish information efficently, although the aim is
not to teach organizations specific technical skills, but to emphasize
on how to publish content with as little effort as possible.

http://www.automasites.net (French)