[esocialaction] FLOSS in Education

Thompson, Steve S.D.Thompson at tees.ac.uk
Fri Feb 17 14:32:56 GMT 2006

Hi,

I recall at one meeting this year we wondered if FLOSS was much in use
in Educational Institutions. I've just managed to get a set of FLOSS
tools installed in a lab here at the University of Teesside for a series
of workshops I'm running.

NVU (web pages)
GIMP (images)
AUDACTITY (Audio)
REASON (Music - not open source but free)

These will be used in tandem with other FLOSS tools on line including
B2Evolution (blogging) phpBB (Forum) Drupal (CMS) and other tools we've
designed ourselves.

I'm also delivering a Community Project in Redcar and Cleveland that
will be resourced with a Bank of laptops using all sporting the FLOSS
apps outlined above.

Steve Thompson
Community Media Coordinator
Department of Academic Enterprise