[esocialaction] open documentary project - draft proposal

Maja van der Velden maja at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 8 12:08:00 BST 2005

Hi Yuwei and Andy,

I had a quick look at your draft proposal. Great, not only as a
project but as a way of thinking about the tools we want to design
and use for creating collective memory. In the same batch with your
message came one that announced that the state of Massachusetts in
the US is adopting Open Documents standards for all it old and new
documents:

"In a series of discussions regarding a preferred document format,
the state emphasized "fair use" capabilities beyond just viewing and
reading government data. The state also stressed that the new
document format must be able to stave off incompatibility as desktop
software changes over time. (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/
nf/20050907/tc_nf/38087)

You can´t build digital collective memories on softwares that change
over time and become incompatible with previous version. This is a
strong point for the proposal!

I have one comment or addition. I see one of the strengths of FLOSS
the potential of users to become the designers of their own software.
This is important from a gender perspective and in the same way from
the perspective of the diversity in which our stories are told
(before they technologically mediated).

Technology can be resisted, appropriated, of course, but if diversity
is not written in the code, technology will limit the ways in which
we can tell our stories. FLOSS allows us to write the way we want to
tell our story into the code. It is therefore important that story-
tellers become the designers of the technology with which they tell
their story. In a way you say it in the proposal:

"Afterwards, we will use story-telling narrative method to design the
film-making technologies. During this design process, the public are
will be encouraged to take part and interact with designers, learn to
use the technologies and help to produce the film. In so doing, not
only FLOSS tools' developers involved in the filmmaking, but also a
community of people are engaged in contributing to the filmmaking.
Thus, such a multidisciplinary research project also build practical
and handy tools that people can use in their everyday lives. "

The strength of the proposal is that it proposes to overcome the
divide between designers and story-tellers (users): story-tellers
become designers, designers become film-makers, etc. Technology
functions often as a "boundary-setter". With FLOSS we can put the
story and the story-teller back to the foreground. Maybe this point
should be made more explicit in the proposal.

Greetings, Maja

BTW I just read an interesting article on gender and design in ICT by
Oudshoorn, Rommes, Stienstra (2004) in Science, technology, & Human
Values, Vol. 29 No.1, Winter 2004 30-63. About the pitfalls of user-
centred design and design-for-all. Even more relevant for FLOSS design!