[esocialaction] Capability models

Nick Plant Nick.Plant at uwe.ac.uk
Fri Jul 22 15:47:43 BST 2005

Andy

One of the tangible outcomes of the model relating to information
systems sustainability in community organisations emerging from my
research is a practical tool of the sort you are seeking, I think. More
specifically, my "information systems healthcheck for community
organisations" uses a questionnaire-driven technique to generate
indicators of "health" based on organisational, technical and social
factors (not solely in *self*-administered mode, more an approach
facilitated by the external helper working participatively with
stakeholders in the 'client' organisation). Using formative evaluation
techniques, this has successfully led to a negotiated approach to
practical action planning, aimed at increasing IS sustainability through
manageable evolutionary change. The whole thing thereby not only
supports situational diagnosis but also action planning and change, I
claim.

I would be delighted to say more about this at the Loughborough meeting,
subject to the outcomes of a meeting I'm having with my colleagues Anne
and Clodagh next week, at which we will be deciding what (else) we might
offer/contribute.

Incidentally, whilst I'm on-list, perhaps I can just add that I have
been meaning to add some stuff to the wiki (even if only some pointers)
ever since the Sheffield meeting, and I am sorry I have failed to do so
as yet. I am taking annual leave soon and *may* still reach this item on
my list beforehand...

Best wishes,

Nick