[esocialaction] open movie project

Yuwei Lin yuwei at ylin.org
Fri Aug 19 18:14:54 BST 2005

Hi Steve,

Thompson, Steve wrote:
>  >>> the story-tellers is www.steeltown.co.uk -  lots of stories, images and
>  >>>sounds including an interview with the last remaining Jarrow marcher.
>
>  >Many thanks to Steve for sending this inspiring link. It gives me an
>  >idea of producing a 3D documentary engaging experts both in open source
>

> Oops - did something happen whilst I was out of the room. I'm a bt lost
> with this. Might my link that inspired this idea somehow be used in the
> project idea.?

Perhaps I can explain a bit about the emergence of my idea here.

I was informed of the open movie project and I thought applying open
source technologies in the traditional media (e.g. radio, TV, cinema)
would be a very good idea of engaging people from different 'social
worlds' to design something together, something that serves as a
'boundary object' stimulates cross-boundary learning and collaboration,
something that can enhance or create a 'community'. Your message just
triggered me to bring this idea up;-) I thought that we could ask a
geographically-local group to narrate the history of the place, or we
could ask a group of old Italian women to narrate their experience of
working in the rice fields. Using open source technology would give us
flexibility of choosing the design tools and components. It saves us
lots of development and distribution costs as well. Eventually we can
release this film under open source licences.

I reckon the connection between our ideas does exist if not remotely.

Best wishes,
yuwei

--
Yuwei Lin | yuwei at ylin dot org