[Coopfortnight] Who are we?

Josef Davies-Coates josef at uniteddiversity.com
Wed Mar 10 22:30:10 GMT 2010

I thought I'd share who the people on the list are whose e-mails I recognise
are and hopefully you can fill in the gaps! :)

Non-digested members (in alphabetical order)

Alex Rollin
I met Alex at a P2P conference in Manchester and stayed with him in
Amsterdam recently. He is working on trying to develop a model/ guidebook
for setting up Commons based businesses. Nice intro at
http://alexrollin.com/

Ben Crosbie
Not sure exactly who this isor if this is there real name (apologies in
advance if I do know), but I seem to be connected via 2 mailing lists
Transmission Drupal (about social change video distribution with drupal) and
Social Centres Network

Chris @ Transition Sheffield.org.uk
Properly met Chris (I think) for first time at Transition Cities conference
in Nottingham. He is involved with loads of good stuff in Sheffield
(Transition, Co-ops, Free Software, etc.)

Chris Bailey @ Social Rights.org
I know Chris through the Technology and Social Action Practical Design for
Social Action (PRADSA) workshops/ event that took place at Universities
around the country. He has been using open source tools to empower unions
etc for years and years and (I just realised) works with Paula (below) on
http://fossbox.org.uk/ stuff :)

Maria Martinez @ Co-operative UK
I don't think we've had the pleause Maria, but my guess is that Ed Mayo has
asked you to join the list?

Martin Mayer @ gmx.net
?

MJ Ray
MJ is very involved in Co-operative stuff (see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ )
and is part of a co-op who provide open source solutions
http://software.coop we've seen each other on lists quite a lot but only
quite recently met for a drink in Bristol.

Oliver Sylvester-Bradley
Oli co-founded The Open Co-op http://open.coop (he did the nice cartoons/
screenshots) with myself and others just before getting a full time job as
Marketing Manager at solarcentury, the UKs most experienced solar pv
company. He also runs http://extraethical.com

Pablo Lucas @gmail.com
I don't think I know Pablo yet but google suggests that he works at
Manchester Metropolitan University at the Centre for Policy Modelling and
works on "Agent-based Modelling and Simulation of Social Behaviour in
Microfinance" :)
http://cfpm.org/~pablo/ABSS_MC/<http://cfpm.org/%7Epablo/ABSS_MC/>
Pablo: you must come to the open mutual money event! :)

Paula Graham @FossBox
I met Paula through PRADSA too. She runs Fossbox http://fossbox.org.uk/ a
Community Interest Company helping voluntary community organisation and
ethical businesses move towards lower-cost ICT systems with less
environmental impact (using free open source software)

Richard Smedley
Another PRADSA acquaintance. Richard is a free software programmer and
permaculture designer. He is involved with North West Hackspace project and
would like to see a decent free software solution for the management of
Credit Unions.

Saul Albert @theps.net
Known Saul for ages through various cool art/ tech/ open type stuff. Now
mostly works with The People Speak http://theps.net who people together to
have discussions, play and make decisions in an open-ended and fun way. I'm
a part owner of a woodland because I attended one of their "Who Wants to
be?" gameshows :) (and, incidentally, I was the first tosuggest we should
put the pooled money into some land ;) see
http://whowantstobe.co.uk/2007/08/how-to-spend-1300/)

5 Digested Members:

Ian Hewitt
Not sure I know Ian although appears to be involved with co-op stuff. Care
to introduce yourself Ian? :)

longs23
No idea. Care to introduce yourself? :)

Kirstie Stramler spiggygogo @gmail.com
I don't know Kirstie but looks like she is involved with the Permaculture
Co-operative and a researcher Permaculture TV, who have been looking at
Mondragon and others cool stuff

Suresh Fernando
I met Suresh at another P2P conference in Manchester organised by Phoebe
(who isn't actually on this list yet but who is organising some related
screenings with Manchester Film Co-op hat on), Media Ecologies and Post
Industrial Production. His main thing at the moment is the OpenKollab a
global virtual ecosystem dedicated to connecting projects to solve massive
social problems. The main focus at present is a Pooled Fund and a Projects
Matching things a bit like dating for social change organisations.

Vicky Sinclair
Not met her yet, but Manchester based and involved with
http://www.arcspacemanchester.org.uk/ as well has having been in Brazil for
a while working on creative commons cultural stuff :)

What a nice bunch of people.

Josef.

--
Josef Davies-Coates