[Coopfortnight] Plan for Open/ Co-op events during Co-op Fortnight

Josef Davies-Coates josef at uniteddiversity.com
Wed Mar 10 17:48:14 GMT 2010

Hi all,

Apologies for long delay in sending this mail and its briefness; my
intention to send something in a "couple of days" has already turned into a
good few weeks so thought I'd just whack something over while I thought of
it...

Firstly, despite great initial response to my call out it doesn't really
look like the 3 big weekend events I hoped would emerge are going to happen
because I personally don't have the time to make them happen for the fun of
it and no one else has stepped forward either.

However, there are, as far as I understand it, a few related smaller more
local events planned :)

So my proposal is simply that we all do a bit of joint promotion and cross
pollination of our events and see if we can get them all presented nicely
together on the Co-op Fortnight website http://www.thereisanalternative.coop

Phoebe: could you share details of your film screening with the list please?
MJ: you still planning on doing stuff in Bristol/ Bath region? Details
please if you are :)
Chris: anything happening up in Sheffield?

I'm still planning on trying to produce 1 or 2 events in London:

1. A RepRap presentation in London, probably at Hub Kings Cross on either
June 30th or July 1st (if Adrian Bowyer can still make either of those
dates). Assuming this goes ahead I'll endeavour to make it a bit of a
makers/ hackspace gathering with the goal being trying to seed and support
emerging co-operative open manufacturing workshop spaces around the UK.
Maybe have a video presentation from Bryan Bishop about his similar plans in
USA

2. An event in the space Saul Albert has access to around setting up new
open/ cooperative/ mutual ventures in the banking, crowdfunding and finance
sectors. Hopefully this will bring together people involved with Co-op Bank,
Tridos Bank, Unity Trust Bank, OpenCoin, Agile-Banking google group, Brixton
Pound, BarterCard, LETS, Timebanks etc etc. Could perhaps be framed as a
follow on to a similarly themed meeting I was invited to at the Department
of Community and Local Government last year and get some of the same people
to come along.

Saul: I should come see the space as we discussed a few weeks ago, and we
should work out what date(s) to do the event on :)

I think thats all for now folks, please share your thoughts and plans!

Thanks!

Josef.

--
Josef Davies-Coates