[Bins] Re: adding support for Location EXIF tag?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Sep 19 13:21:30 BST 2006

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 03:09:56PM -0400, Sean Dague wrote:
> I'd like to be able to use the Location EXIF tag on my images to back the
> location tag in bins, so that my images will be tagged directly, and loss of
> extra meta files isn't a big deal.
>
> exiftool -Location="Some Place" image.jpg
>
> sets this nicely, and exiftool -g image.jpg returns it nicely.
>
> However, the image_info call that bins (1.1.29) uses returns Location as
> part of an XML document inside of App1-http: tag (as per below).  Presumably
> this is because it is an adobe extension to exif.
> 'App1-http:' => '//ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/<?xpacket begin=\'\'
> id=\'W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d\'?>
> <x:xmpmeta xmlns:x=\'adobe:ns:meta/\' x:xmptk=\'Image::ExifTool 6.00\'>
> <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf=\'http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#\'>
>
>  <rdf:Description about=\'\'
>   xmlns:Iptc4xmpCore=\'http://iptc.org/std/Iptc4xmpCore/1.0/xmlns/\'>
>   <Iptc4xmpCore:Location>Susan Tveekrem &amp; Sean Dague&apos;s Wedding;
> Granville, VT</Iptc4xmpCore:Location>
>  </rdf:Description>
> </rdf:RDF>
> </x:xmpmeta>
> <?xpacket end=\'w\'?>'
>
> Is there any quick and easy way to get Location back out inside of bins
> instead of this XML doc?

I've been playing around with the Image::ExifTool module, and it appears
that ImageInfo in Image::ExifTool is nearly a drop in replacement for
image_info that is currently used in bins, but gives you access to extended
exif tags.

If I work up a patch to switch bins over to Image::ExifTool, is there any
interest in including it?

	-Sean