[Bins] new functionality: search engine

Jérôme SAUTRET jerome at sautret.org
Wed Aug 10 20:52:02 BST 2005

I'm developing a -somewhat basic- search engine for BINS. It can be
used to find pictures by searching keywords in their description
fields.

I've successfully tested the mechanism with Firefox and Konqueror. I'd
appreciate if some of you could test it with some more alternative or
exotic browsers like Opera, IE or Safari (no, it won't work with
lynx), especially with old versions, if someone has some in his
collection.

This can be tested on my personal album.

Please note that the album is quite big and hosted behind a slow DSL
connection, so the search page can take some time to load, specially
if everybody go there when this mail is send ;-). I've never found a
free Web hoster providing enough free space for my album, so it's
hosted on one of my personal box.

Also, all is in french, sorry... This is the only album big enough to
test the search feature in a real size environment that I have
on-line. Anyway, here is a minimal french to english survival lexicon
to proceed to a little test :

recherche -> search (top left, to go to the search page)
arbre -> tree
retour -> back
Mots-clés -> search keywords
Rechercher uniquement sur des mots entiers -> search only on whole words

OK, you won't survive in the french countryside with this, but this
should be enough for today.

You can try searches on peoples ("cedric"), places ("tampere") or
whatever you want ("eglise", means church). You can also use several
keywords ("chat louvre"), etc.

For information, the code is hosted in the bins--devel branch of the
bazaar repository. The search pages are only present in the swigs
templates (former default). The new parameters involved are
searchEngine (to deactivate the functionality) and searchFields (to
specify which description fields are searchable).

--
Jérôme SAUTRET (Jerome @ SAUTRET.org)           http://SAUTRET.org
Key 0x95D463F3 fingerprint 3B69 3B60 4D32 B8DF 2BF3 8035 5036 D41A 95D4 63F3