[Alt-sheff-organising-group] PLEASE NOTE re item listed in events

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Tue Jan 20 21:28:28 GMT 2015

Hi

On Tue 20-Jan-2015 at 08:06:35PM +0000, Alt-Sheff Collective wrote:

> I've listed an event which might be controversial, just want to check
> everyone's happy we continue to list this:
>
> Feb 21st - a talk
> here's the link
> http://alt-sheff.org/events/3814
>
> Julie Bindel was apparently "No Platformed" after writing an article which
> offended many people. That's when activists turn up to try to stop someone
> from speaking in public. It was probably this article:
> http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/jan/31/gender.weekend7
> I understand she has since apologised for what she wrote, and received a lot
> of abuse. So this meeting could be a historically useful look back moment in
> left/feminist understanding. Or it could be more controversy.
>
> OK to list it? All replies welcome :)

I mentioned this event and Jonathan suggested listing it, I have since
brought a ticket and asked them if I can make a mp3 recording of the
event for Indymedia.

I don't agree with Julie Bindel or the organisers about sex work or
trans issues but I support their right to speak and support it being
listed.

All the best

Chris

--