[999nhs-coordinators] RALLIES AND PUBLICITY

Joanna Adams 999callfornhs at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 08:04:18 GMT 2014

​

Hi Everyone,

just to hopefully put this insurance issue to bed for everyone.. :-)

Since we (hopefully) still live in a free country, we don't need insurance
at all to walk down a public road. We also don't need insurance to stand in
public spaces and hand out flyers or make speeches (which would be a rally)
We also don't need permission from anyone to either of those things.

The only issue is when we are on private property. That includes land/roads
on land that is owned by the Local Authority. They can, in theory, refuse
us access. So, the Insurance is about appeasing them and making sure also,
that if anyone was to get hurt or injured or run over, we would be able to
take care of them. We aren't a Union with its own insurance, or a big
organisation that has stuff like that as a matter of course. The buck would
stop with us mums. So, we have taken out insurance for that reason.

With rallies, the issue is that our insurance doesn't formally include
them. It will cover up to 500 people and no stage as Jo said. That doesn't
mean you necessarily need to take out your own insurance it just means that
if you have a stage and 20,000 people sow up (fingers crossed!!) that our
insurance wouldn't cover it.

*If you use stage hire or PA hire firms, they tend to have their own
insurance and will do their own risk assessments, *

so there's no issue there, if you just ask for a copy of it so you could
show it if questioned. I guess a park/band stand is Local authority owned
and so they can make demands if we want to use it, but otherwise.. bring on
the march!! :-)

Just wanted to say what a great job you are all doing, and that we are
really chuffed to have you all on board.

Thank you so much

Joanna Adams

Thank you.

Kind Regards,