[999nhs-coordinators] Communication during the march

Geoff Dunbar geoff.dunbar1 at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 14 13:36:42 GMT 2014

Hi All,

Here's the belt and braces bit.

We hope that the march will be able to happen without any major problems. However, we need to have something in place for unforeseen event that could hold the march up.

I have attached a spreadsheet giving a simple communication pattern between walkers and coordinators. If you want someone else to act as the local contact, just let us know and we will make the necessary amendments.

The timings for each leg of the walk come from a calculation built in to google maps, it is broadly based on a walking speed of 4 miles and hour. The estimated time of arrival is based on departing at 10am and adding 1 hour for breaks, lunch, loos etc.

The intention is to phone ahead when the march actually gets moving, so that you can adjust the time we should arrive accordingly. We will then ring again at about the time indicated (i.e. 2hours ahead of when we hope to be with you). That should allow time for you to let your colleagues know what is happening.

For the stops when we are using churches or community buildings we need to advise them of progress of the march. One thing I haven't been able to put in place fully yet is an indication of the time that we need church premises to be open for us. I know that Elizabeth has direct contact with her church hall in Ripon.

So, for Wakefield, Barnsley, Loughborough, Market Harborough, Bedford, Luton, St Albans and Edmonton - if you can give me an outline of timings for any events you have planned, especially finish times I will give those details to the churches this evening when I phone them for a contact number. If I let you have that number, I wonder if they could be included in the list of people that you notify of our whereabouts on the day.

I hope this will help everyone on the ground to make the day less stressful and more enjoyable all round.

Regards

Geoff

PS Steve I will try and ring you to clarify the timings as I'm not sure if the march is expected to reach Luton before the welcome parade.

Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace amid the storm. Anon

“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.” Albert Camus