[SlugBug] [Fwd: Free Software Events: Introduction on Wednesday 7th October]

Tim Dobson lists at tdobson.net
Mon Oct 5 23:54:46 GMT 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Free Software Events: Introduction on Wednesday 7th October
Date: Tue,  6 Oct 2009 00:22:37 +0100
From: Free Software Society <fss at sheffield.ac.uk>
To: fss at sheffield.ac.uk

Hello everyone, a little communication hiccup (apparently Gmail's spam
filter is
a bit paranoid) but the Free Software Society is going strong and we
have a few
events lined up for the coming weeks:

FSS Events
----------

What: The Best Things In Life are Free? An Introduction to Free Software
When: Wednesday 7th October, starting from 6/7pm
Cost: FREE!
Where: Showroom Cinema cafe/bar (across the road from Sheffield train
station)
you can
do with it and why it's important and relevant to anyone who uses a computer
and the Internet. This is especially aimed at anyone who uses computers but
doesn't count themselves as "tech-savvy", since these are the users often
exploited by large software companies (eg. Microsoft, Apple, Facebook,
etc.).
Come along, don't be scared and you'll find out how to avoid some of the
traps
often used to get money out of users!

We're doing this as part of "GeekUp", a monthly meeting of computer
enthusiasts,
so there will be plenty of people to chat to, and a few other talks (see
http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/4407049/ )

What: Installfest
When: Wednesday 21st October and Wednesday 18th November, 3pm-5pm
Where: On the 21st we're in the Moors (above the Source in the Student
Union),
on the 18th we're in Octagon Meeting Room 1 (in the Octagon, downstairs then
straight forward on the left)
Cost: FREE!
computery along
to a bunch of geeks who can get it doing what you want (well, most of
the time
anyway!). We'll show you what various Free programs can do, how to use
them and
anything you like we'll install and set up for you. We can also try our
hand at
fixing problems you're having, although as we're the Free Software society
we'll fix misbehaving non-free programs by giving you a Free Software
alternative ;)

Everything Else
---------------

Socials: We'll be having socials every other Thursday, so for this month
that's
the 15th and 29th of October. These are usually at 6pm in the Interval
cafe/bar
(part of the Student Union) but check the forum for changes.

Other events: There are loads of Free Software events happening around
Sheffield
and the UK which we'll be attending, to keep up to date you can check
our news
page at http://fss.union.shef.ac.uk/news.html and our forum at
http://www.fss.union.shef.ac.uk/forum or you can follow us on Identi.ca at
http://identi.ca/sheffieldfreesoftware (this feeds our News page)

Thanks
Chris Warburton (FSS President)

PS: If you want to unsubscribe from our updates just send a message to
fss at sheffield.ac.uk letting us know :)