[SlugBug] Multiprocessor and Xen

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Sat Oct 27 19:50:16 BST 2007

hi, Slugbug

I use Xen pretty extensively in a dev environment.

SMP server environments are becoming more and more common, thanks to
the advent of the dual/quad core processor and such.  For no other
reason than 'I want to' :-), I'd like to ensure that I am getting the
best out of each core with a Xen installation.  Are there any
configuration techniques which should be followed to take advantage
of the multiple processors ?

My thoughts are either :
    - I will have to configure a guest to use a specific processor or
thread
or - Xen will balance the work across all processors transparently

Which is right ?  Anyone have some interesting empirical thoughts ?

Best wishes,
Andy Davidson

--
:: http://www.localphone.com/  -  Call Global, Pay Local
:: /* opinions and thoughts expressed here are my own */