[SlugBug] Adding a new mailbox by SSH

James Wallbank james at lowtech.org
Wed Sep 6 12:27:16 BST 2006

Hello All,

I have to confess some considerable ignorance here! How do I add a new
mailbox to a virtual host on a server running postfix?

This problem came about when I started to customise the copnfiguration
of our Fasthosts virtual server, and thanks to the complexities of the
new virtual domains I need to add, I broke the GUI control panel!
Therefore, I have to do all config activities by SSH now.

* I can see how to edit /etc/postfix/virtual

* I can run 'postmap virtual' to make the new virtual.db which postfix uses.

* I can make appropriate diredctories in
/home/virtualdomain.com/system/mail/users/ (i.e. newuser/Maildir/cur/,
newuser/Maildir/tmp/ and newuser/Maildir/tmp/) and I can touch a file
newuser/Maildir/courierpop3dsizelist, which by the look of things logs
or indexes new mails.

However, while all this activity may be fun, it's pretty long-winded
just to make a new mailbox, and I suspect there's a command to do this
all for me.

Also, at no point yet have I set a password for the new mailbox - so
clearly it won't work if I actually want to read the mail I've just
started accumulating!

So, any ideas how to do this simple task? Note that at the moment there
are several functioning mail boxes on the system that *aren't* related
to a username in /etc/passwd - so 'useradd newuser' and 'passwd newuser'
isn't the answer!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

James