[SlugBug] Happy new year... and video cards :-)

Chris J cej at nightwolf.org.uk
Sun Dec 31 14:01:05 GMT 2006

Happy new year all,

Hope it's been a good one for everyone. Certainly been a good one here
:-) ... and with less than 12 hours until 2007, there's a feeling of the
calm before the storm...

Anyhow, I'm looking at upgrading my system at some point in the new
year, and have plumped for an Athlon X2 and associated mainboard, but am
having problems selecting a decent video card.

I'm looking for something that at least supports 3D and OpenGL, and
preferably isn't nVidia (mostly due to limited support in open source
code and an otherwise potentially problematic driver supplied by nVidia
themselves).

 From doing some poking around, the ATI Radeon's seem to be a fairly
good choice[1], but does anyone have any experience one way or the
other, or any alternatives?

The whole nVidia avoidance goes to the mainboard as well as I've read
problems or lack of full support for the nForce chipset, including not
being able to get sound.

Any experience/recommendations on hardware welcome...

Cheers and enjoy tonight :-)

Chris...
[1]<http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.comp.os.linux/browse_frm/thread/bd00939a32deedb2/25c0724257b9cd55>