[SlugBug] Routing table question

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Tue Aug 15 14:02:53 BST 2006

hi

thanks for your reply.

Minase wrote:
>> Or just use `ip`. The output of `ip route show` is identical to the
>> commands used to actually add the routes, if you put 'ip route add'
>> on the beginning of each line.

ta.

>> Regardless, this is all a bit retarded, because you should be figuring
>> out *what is causing the problem*, not trying to bandage it with
>> various scheduled hacks.

indeed.

>> Sounds to me like you have some kind of DHCP client running.

good point but not that i can see.

the box runs FC2 and the contents of ifcfg-eth0 are thus:

> DEVICE=eth0
> BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
> HWADDR=00:02:B3:02:87:C2
> IPADDR=192.168.1.2
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=192.168.1.0
> ONBOOT=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

the contents of ifcfg-eth1 are so:

> DEVICE=eth1
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=none
> IPADDR=192.168.0.4
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> GATEWAY=192.168.0.5
> HWADDR=00:02:B3:EF:9A:3D
> TYPE=Ethernet

eth0 connects to the net eventually, eth1 is a direct connection to a
local machine (192.168.0.5) for fast backups over a Gigabit connection.

from time to time the eth1 gateway address becomes the default gateway
in route which knackers things for apt/yum updates etc. here's an
example of a bad routing table that has just now appeared:

> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
> 192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
> 192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
> 169.254.0.0     *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth1
> default         192.168.0.5     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1

i need to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

many thanks and best regards

bill