[SlugBug] Apache children spawning

Chris chris at slugbug.org.uk
Wed Apr 5 14:17:05 BST 2006

Hi

On Wed 05-Apr-2006 at 12:54:34PM +0100, Alan Dawson wrote:
> How does apache spawn new children ..  is it one per web request.

I guess that unless there are no spare children then a new request might
only cause a new one if MinSpareServers drops below whatever it's set
to...?

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/prefork.html#minspareservers

> So if a browser requests a page it will make a new child for the tcp
> conversation (say )
>
> browser ipaddr:12340 GET index.html -> webserver ipaddr:80
> webserver ipaddr:80 index.html -> browser ipaddr:12340
>
> is one Apache child
>
> then if the same browser makes a new request you would see
>
> browser ipaddr:12341 GET index.html -> webserver ipaddr:80
> webserver ipaddr:80 index.html -> browser ipaddr:12341
>
> would be a new apache process ( or is that child ? )

I expect if it's a request for another file from the same browser then
it'll use the same child process since it'll be a persistent
connection...?

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#keepalive

Chris