[SlugBug] Postfix Maildir receive problem

Chris J cej at nightwolf.org.uk
Thu Sep 29 00:08:59 BST 2005

> > > Does 'ipop3d' support pop3 access to Maildir formatted mail stores?
> >
> > We use courier-imap for this.
>
> isn't ipop3d the imap daemon which i have got installed:

ipop3d is the POP daemon shipped alongside imapd - an IMAP daemon. Both
are shipped as part of UW-IMAP.

> so should i try to configure ipop3d to use Maildir - can't see where the
> conf file is for this - or install another POP3 server?  any opinions on
> dovecot or is courier-imap better?

Both ipop3d and imapd do not support Maildir:
	http://www.washington.edu/imap/IMAP-FAQs/#1.31

You will need to install a new POP (and if you make use of IMAP, an IMAP
server. Courier is the usual one of choice for peeps that do not have
qmail installed (which comes shipped with qmail-pop3d).

I've never come across Dovecot before, so have no opinion either way :-)
But it looks like it's still under heavy development. The 'alpha3' label on
the version tag gives that away. If you're looking to use something on a
production server, then Courier would be the safer option (stability is
good).

I'm going to keep an eye on Dovecot though. Cheers for the heads-up on that
one. Looks like it might be a possible alternative :-)

Chris...

--
\ Chris Johnson                 \ NP:
 \ cej at nightwolf.org.uk          \