[SlugBug] Debian Popularity Contest

Neil McGovern maulkin at halon.org.uk
Mon Oct 17 23:11:38 BST 2005

Hi all,

This is a little bit of a plug, but if you use Debian, please read on.

We're[0] going for a bit of a push to raise the profile of
Popularity-Contest[1].

The popularity contest project is an attempt to map the usage of Debian
packages. This site publishes the statistics gathered from report sent
by users of the popularity-contest  package. This package sends every
week the list of packages installed and the access time of relevant
files to the server via email or HTTP. Every day the server anonymizes
the result and publishes some very useful stats.

Not only does it tell us architecture information (eg: which
architectures are being used), but also which packages are popular. We
use this data to help decide what does on teh 1st cd etc.

This is really useful info for us, so we'd appreciate:
apt-get install popularity-contest
Answer 'Yes' to participate!

Thanks,
Neil