[SlugBug] wireless 802.11 PCI cards

Bruno Postle bruno at postle.net
Wed May 18 12:56:57 BST 2005

On Sun 15-May-2005 at 15:52 +0100, Alan Dawson wrote:

> The next pcmcia wifi card I buy will be a Linksys WAG511 a+b+g
>
> This is supposedly the atheros chipset and is supported under
> Linux as the madwifi driver.  There is also a WAG311 which is a
> PCI card. This again is supposed to be the atheros chipset, and as
> such should be OK under Linux
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52756

I guessed and bought a "PCI Netgear WG311 v2" in addition to the hub:

  http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=50127

It turned-out to have a Texas Instruments acx111 chipset which is
apparently supported by this kernel module:

  http://acx100.sourceforge.net/

It compiles, installs and loads fine, though I still have to figure
out how to actually set it up (and stop it from killing the mouse).

> I would purchase 2x WRT54GS and use them instead.

> the advantage of this is that you could bridge all the wireless
> and wired interfaces together making a nice flat network.

Sounds like a good plan, I may yet do this.

--
Bruno