[SlugBug] Re: [Sheflug] Majordomo

Andy Davidson andyd at lug.org.uk
Wed Jul 20 21:11:26 BST 2005

cc: slugbug as my shefflug mails sometimes disappear.

On 20 Jul 2005, at 09:50, Steve Tickle wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience setting up majordomo?
> I'm trying to set up the current version (1.94.5) on a Debian Woody
> box. I think I've got over some hurdles but basically majordomo
> seems to be doing an excellent impression of a black hole. Exim
> seems to be delivering messages to majordomo correctly but there's
> not sign of life in the other direction.

Majordomo is a good choice for a mailing list manager.

Slap the Majordomo build in /usr/local/majordomo (this makes it easy
to backup).  My install is set to user majordomo, group daemon.
Lists are then configured in /usr/local/majordomo/lists.  You should
get a sample config file for lists - this would be called your-
listname.config.  A file in the same directory which takes the same
name as the mailing list holds the email address of all of your
users.  As a general rule, if you want a 'public' list, then you are
well advised to use open+confirm for the subscription policy to
prevent malicious subscriptions.

You configure exim for majordomo differently to, say, sendmail
+majordomo.

the majordomo user needs to be set as a 'trusted' user in exim, so
that it can rewrite the Sender header.  Before your local_users
director (speaking exim 3 language here if you have a Woody box..)
along the lines of :

majordomo_aliases:
         driver = aliasfile
         file = /etc/aliases.majordomo
         search_type = lsearch*
         user = majordomo
         pipe_transport = address_pipe

Then put into your aliases.majordomo file (though this is specific to
my setup, you'll need to change stuff) :

list-l: "|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper resend -l list-l -h
nosignal.org list-l-out"
list-l-out: :include:/usr/local/majordomo/lists/list-l
list-l-approval: andy
owner-list-l: andy

Create a few more aliases so that people can contact the MLM to
subscribe/unsubscribe/perform admin

majordomo:      andy,"|/usr/local/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"
owner-majordomo:       andy

(i copy myself into majordomo@ requests to keep an eye on stuff).

If this gives you any grief, please post back to the list with some
lines from your exim mainlog.