[SlugBug] Winbind and PAM

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Thu Jan 6 23:48:16 GMT 2005

Hi,.. sorry for late reply on this, but the festive season intervened  :-)

any how.. back at the grindstone now

Quoting Andy Davidson <andy at nosignal.org>:

> Add the following to /etc/pam/system-auth :
>
> session     required      pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel umask=0022

thats v.cool, and whats more it works first time. Thanks!

> .. and now when a user tries to log in for the first time, they get
> their home directory created (you'll need to mount it from a samba
> fileserver if you want to allow hotdesking, or have all files in one
> place for backup purposes, etc.)

Ahh yes ..  thats part of the plan, and I've started looking at pam_mount for
this, but the issue I have here is.. there is not a single fileserver that
hosts the home folders.  For example  user1 home is on //fs1/home/user1  whilst
user2's is on //fs2/marketing/user2.

Now windows knows this from the %homepath% environment variable, any clues how I
can get this from samba or winbind?

AED
--
"If you make decisions about software -- or anything -- based solely on
short-term cost and benefit, someone with a longer view can easily