[SlugBug] [Wylug-announce] Jeremy Allison - Samba Presentation

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Mon Sep 27 11:04:12 BST 2004

Sheffield Linux Users Group (ShefLUG)

Meetings are free and open to anyone to attend.

Our next meeting will take place on the afternoon of the 9th of
October at the St Georges Lecture Theatre 3, University of
Sheffield, Mappin Street.  There is seating for about 175 people.
Coffee and tea is served at 13.30 and the presentation begins at
14.00.  Finish at about 16.00 or whenever everyone stops asking
questions.

Jeremy Allison will give a talk about Samba internals and what we expect
to see in the new release of Samba which we think will be released some
time next year.

If you have an interest in software production and you know very little
of Open Source and Free software then this is a great opportunity to
find out something about it.   Samba is the file sharing software which
allows seamless integration of heterogeneous networks thus making Unix
and Windows work together as though they are just one network or
computer.  It is one of the showcase projects of the Open Source era.
Jeremy is one of the two programmers who between them wrote most of the
code in Samba. The other is Andrew Tridgell who created Samba and its
predecessor which was a client for the DEC Pathworks protocol.  Jeremy
and Andrew began working together in 1993.  Jeremy has worked for Cygnus
and VA Linux and in more recent times Hewlett-Packard and others.  With
the Samba project he handles release engineering and co-ordinates
development efforts and also acts as a corporate liaison to companies
which use Samba code commercially.  He's a good speaker and he knows
what he is talking about.

             For more information have a look at..

             http://www.sheflug.co.uk/meeting.html

Entrance will be through an online booking form.   Cost of the
presentation for participating individuals is nothing.  We would just
like to know who is coming along so that we don't over book the room.
To book for this event please go to..

http://www.digitalsy.org.uk/eventsbookingform.html?eventid=40

Hopefully you will be able to come along.  We look forward to meeting
you on the day.