[SlugBug] Your PC fixed by volunteers at the Community Computer Cafe!

Gareth Coleman gaz at problem-solved.co.uk
Fri Nov 19 14:46:34 GMT 2004

I'm posting this here because we want to spread the word - but with a couple
of caveats. The main one is that although we have an experienced Linux
technician most of the rest of us would struggle to match the expert
suggestions that come from this list. So if you are hoping that we can cook
up some custom kernel patch to make your exotic hardware work then you may
be disappointed!

But this means that if you are a linux bod with a bit of spare time on
Saturdays then we could really use some more help.

Also our focus is on getting peoples computers to work for them, and if that
means fixing windows pc's 9 times out 10 then OK - we can do that, and we'll
do a soft sell job for linux as and when it seems appropriate. I feel that
sometimes preaching the merits of a particular OS is a bit rude - we have to
be there to empower people, not browbeat them.

Main Message
------------

We are opening a computer cafe in the basement of the New Roots shop (corner
of Spital Hill and Hallcar Street, Sheffield) on Saturdays 12-3 from the
20th November 2004. Basically you can come along (bring your computer box if
needed) and get any computer problems sorted out then and there for free. If
you need some new hardware we can tell you exactly what to get and then fit
it for you. If your computer needs new software we can find open programs
and we'll help download, install & configure them for you. If you've had a
bad case of virus attack then we will nurse your computer back to health!

We are a group of volunteers from the local community who mostly work in IT
(I'm a qualified support engineer and IT tutor for example). We keep meeting
people with computers at home that they aren't using because they're
'broken'. By spending a little time and sometimes replacing a chip or two
these computers can often be brought back to life.

We feel that fixing our neighbours computers for free is good because then
they can be better connected in our community - the other part of our idea
is to register everyone we help and offer them a burngreave email address -
then send them a local email (for local people) every month or so.

So come down, bring your tired and huddled mass storage devices, shrivelled
apricots and rotten apples. If you want to get involved just come along and
see what we're doing and how you could help. You can also contact us via
cafe at problem-solved.co.uk

Thanks

Gareth Coleman

---