[SlugBug] vsftpd and ports and stuff. Blimey.

mike dewar m.dewar at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed May 26 14:05:18 BST 2004

Hi. Here's the situation.

I'm at Uni sitting infront of my SuSe box. I'd like to connect to a RH
box that's sitting behind a router at a friends house.

Things I _can_ do:

The router at my friends house is forwarding ports 20 ~ 80 to the RH box.

I can ssh to the RH box from Uni, i guess on port 22.

Once logged in I can ftp to the RH box from itself, if you see what I
mean. I can type ftp localhost and it all works fine. So vsftpd is
running. When I telnet the localhost on port 21, vsftpd responds.

My friend can ssh into the RH box from another computer in his house.

Things I _can't_ do:

I can't ftp to the RH box from Uni.

My friend can't ftp to the RH box from another computer in his house

 From Uni, when I telnet the RH box on port 21 nothing happens. It's
quite boring. Same for port 20.

Undoubtedly I'm missing something fundamental, yet I'm at the very edge
of my understanding here and google's not being helpfull and I can't
think of anything else to do. Have you lot got the answer by any chance
: How do I ftp to my friends RH box behind a router?

Cheers,

Mike