[SlugBug] OT..Networking Hardware Software Recommendations

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Mon Mar 1 17:16:58 GMT 2004

Ok..OK..

I've got a list of tools now from with things like..

Nagios - http://www.nagios.org/
OpenNMS - http://www.opennms.org/

Which aggregate and monitor across the network, and can send alerts if
particular criteria are(n't) met

Also things like
ethereal
tcpdump
iptraf
ntop
snort

Which can act as probes at particular locations to get local information.

Now I'm looking at hardware to put this stuff on top of..

I've had problems dealing with odd motherboards and particulary ancient PC's
which do not behave reliably when you need something.  I'm looking for devices
that are portable(ish) can support different NIC's and are reliable.  Something
not too much bigger than a laptop but that can be expanded, but smaller than a
desktop PC so can be easily put in place in crowded wiring cabinets.

Anybody got any experience in decent hardware thats suitable for the above
--
"The long revolution is creating small federated microsocieties, true guerilla

 cells practising and fighting for this self-management. Effective radicality
 authorises all variations and guarantees every freedom. "