[SlugBug] perl help required - helix server log parsing

Chris J cej at nightwolf.org.uk
Fri Jun 18 20:42:16 BST 2004

And Lo! The Great Prophet Bill Best uttered these words of wisdom:

> hooray - i believe that this works (your first suggestion above).
>
> still wrestling a bit with some other parts of the puzzle but no
> complaints yet from webalizer.
>
> many thanks for this - it's a great help.

Nay probs -- regular expressions are just the thing to deal with this sort
of problem. I see what the Perl script you posted originally is trying to
do, but it's a little long winded, but it is clearer for the end user. Like
my RE, it's using REs to break the expression down into its constituant
parts, but somewhere along the way it's breaking - probably an error in the
RE, or even that double space may have broken it (which, examining the RE
in the perl, it will have done -- it's always expecting single spaces).

As for how the RE works (in either the perl script or the sed script) is
left as an exercise for the reader :-)

Chris...

--
\ Chris Johnson                 \ NP: Catatonia - 06. Goldfish And Paraceta
 \ cej at nightwolf.org.uk          \ mol