[SlugBug] Re: Partitioning

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Tue Dec 28 08:51:44 GMT 2004

On 13 Dec 2004, at 15:22, Steve Tickle wrote:

> I configured a webserver some time ago and somehow forgot to include a
> swap partition (either that or the install program got its knickers in
> a twist). I've since implemented a swap file and this seems to work ok
> but I was wondering if I can retrospectively create a swap partition
> without totally stuffing up the data on the existing partitions. OS is
> Debian 3.0 stable (Woody)

You could have a swap file as well as, or instead of a swap partition.

To create a 2GB swap file calculate block size :

    factory:~ andy$ echo "2048 * 1024" |bc
    2097152

Create that space on disk :

dd if=/dev/zero of=/swap bs=1024 count=2097152

Turn it into swap :

mkswap /swap
swapon /swap

/etc/fstab to add it automatically.