[SlugBug] Maybe OT... colo and 1U server recommendations?

Neil McGovern maulkin at halon.org.uk
Thu Dec 16 11:00:35 GMT 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 11:03:06PM +0000, Minase wrote:
> First, Linux related issue: what server to get? Anyone have any
> favourite branded 1Us for Linux usage? Or maybe it'd be better to
> build one myself? I've really no idea a about 1U's... the cooling
> issues scare me off build-your-own though :)
> I've heard pretty much anything HP is reliable. I was also thinking
> one of the IBM X series servers (i've heard bad things about their
> SATA controllers + linux, but i'd be getting a SCSI model anyway)
> Requirements: SCSI, (obviously) decent serial support, stable under
> Linux and requires no binary drivers or wacky kernel patches. No RAID
> required as will be using Linux software RAID.
> I'd like price to be roughly ~1000 GBP.

I (http://www.halontechnologies.co.uk) use FlexiServ.

Send me an email with your exact requirements (HDDs, memory, CPU etc)
and I'll get you a quote.

> Second issue, the colo itself - wanting to just rent 1 or 2 U, with
> bandwidth. I've settled on one of two pretty nice looking companies,
> just wondering if anyone knows anything about them - horror stories
> for example. They are:
>
>  - BlackCat. Seem nice and clued up, though
>  their website would be hard to sell to my PHB :)
>  [http://www.blackcat.net.uk/prices-colo.shtml]. Can't tell from the
>  site whether they offer serial console access for servers they don't
>  rent you themselves... i guess i'll email sales@ for that though.

Couldn't recommend more strongly. Brilliant people, and a wonderful
service. *Really* clued up.
Serial console is a one-time set up of £50.

Neil
Q. Why is top posting bad?
gpg key - http://www.halon.org.uk/pubkey.txt ; the.earth.li B345BDD3