[SlugBug] Stopping monitor going into power down mode

Pete Collier pecb at nildram.co.uk
Mon Aug 23 11:31:03 BST 2004

Hello all,
                A computer at work running win95 used by three supervisors,
recently lost
some dll files needed to connect to the internet (one of the supervisors does
a lot of poking about without thinking first he-he) . So I took advantage of
the situation and  installed SuSE 9.1 on an old second hard drive. Chose SuSE
because of eye candy looks which would impress these non tech guys. All is
reasonably well apart from when left long enough, the monitor (gateway 2000
17") powers down and on reactivating it by moving mouse etc. the display is
tall and narrow. The only way to get the display correct is to switch the
monitor off and then back on again, which losses the interest I'm trying to
generate. I've tried apm=off, acpi=off in grub, I have powersave disabled and
under screensaver settings in the desktop I have not clicked that the
screensaver is power-management aware.
        Any-one know how to deactivate the power down of the monitor so that
the
screen saver stays on? Increasing the time before screen saver kicks in
doesn't appear to work.

Thanks in advance,

Peter C