[SlugBug] Re: Reminder - meeting tonight

Lesley Binks lesley.binks at zen.co.uk
Wed Aug 4 15:50:06 BST 2004

slugbug-request at email-lists.org wrote:

> Gary Stimson wrote:
>

>>Eh-up,
>>
>>See you all at the meet tonight 7pm onwards at the Rutland Arms?
>

> Greetings,
>
> Hope you all enjoy. I'm looking forward to the proposed regular Tuesday
> meetings.
>
> As luck would have it, Sheffield Wednesday are being Sheffield Tuesday
> tonight (this shouldn't be happening!) so have a drink for me.
>
> - Jonathan

Oh well, .... and I could have done with a pint.  I hope that I can come
along to the next one.

I could have done with a quick chat about this ...

Dell Latitude L400 PIII-700 Laptop

I am scraping the cash together to buy one of these with floppy drive
and CD rom drive.

They are fairly old secondhand machines but I have been having a spot of
bother with them.  The company I am buying from has been very good,
replacing the complete unit when one wouldn't boot from hard disk, CD or
floppy.

I am now at the stage where I have a working floppy but still no CD
working and the company is sending out a replacement.

The CD drive is recognised, in both the BIOS and the minimal Win 98
system but there is no way I can even get a directory listing of a known
good disk, merely getting a CDR101 device not ready when reading error
and the ubiquitous Abort, Retry Fail message.

I was wondering whether anyone had any experience to make about these
machines and would care to comment?

I have already checked that they seem to cope with a redhat 7.x series
install ( http://www.linux-laptop.net/dell.html ) and I have a Suse 7.3
set of disk as well as a 8.2 set so I am confident that I will have a
working system once the hardware problem is sorted out.

Regards

Lesley