[SlugBug] ssh keys fubar'ed

Bill Best bill at commedia.org.uk
Fri Sep 5 20:33:47 BST 2003

Jonathan wrote:

> Bill Best wrote:
>
>> hi
>>
>> i run an rsync backup job over ssh under cron and i did the trick
>> about exchanging public keys to get around the password problem - as
>> helpfully described by o'reilly here:  http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/66
>>
>> anyway, all was running well but i have since moved one of the servers
>> to a co-lo facility and given it a new hostname and so on.
>>
>> now ssh/scp doesn't work.
>>
>> how do i get rid of all the old keys and start all over again?
>>
>> many thanks in advance.

thanks for you reply, Jonathon.

> If you run the script manually, you should see the errors, it used to
> complain about a man-in-the-middle attack, presumably called Malcolm :)

run my backup script manually ???  it hangs - just like ssh and scp.

> In your ~/.ssh or ~/.ssh2 directory, you should find a file called
> known_hosts - zap the entry from there for the host (on the sending
> side) - you may also need to initiate another transfer to confirm you
> trust the new key.

tried that - it hangs and gets nowhere.

can't see anything in /var/log/messages - don't know if owt would get
logged there.

tried logging on in verbose mode and i get this:

[bill at backup bill]$ ssh 195.xxx.xxx.xxx -v
OpenSSH_3.4p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090602f
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
trusted.
debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to 195.xxx.xxx.xxx [195.xxx.xxx.xxx] port 22.

and then it hangs.

any more ideas, folks?

cheers

bill