[SlugBug] gentooo and dhcpcd

mike dewar m.dewar at shef.ac.uk
Mon Sep 1 21:33:02 BST 2003

Hi all,

A no-doubt newbie question, again. I'm trying to install Gentoo on an
old box of mine that wasn't doing anything useful. I'm failing at the
first hurdle: network config.

My (brand new from ebuyer) network card is detected accurately upon
startup of the Gentoo liveCd. No errors are generated upon startup. The
card's listed happily when i type lspci.

I run ifconfig but all it produces is the local loopback screen thingy,
which I have no idea about, except that I know that the fact that it
didn't show eth0 is bad.

Okay, so then I run dhcpcd eth0 as per the instructions. It basically
doesn't do anything. No errors, yet no configured ethernet. ifconfig
still doesn't show up anything interesting. Pinging google says 'unkown
host' or something similar. If I ping my router, i get the error
'network unreachable'.

I know my router supports DHCP and it's enabled. The wire is plugged in
(there are shining lights on the router and the ethernet card). The
router works becuase I'm using my happy RH9 PC via it.

Any ideas? I'd be happier if it said something like 'no! you're doing it
wrong!' or 'don't be so stupid!'. But it's not. It just acts as if
there's nothing wrong. To spite me.

I've tried configuring the card manually using Gentoo's net-setup
utility, so that ifconfig comes out almost exactly the same as my
working PC (the difference being that they're on different ports in the
router). This is still not great, except that now I can ping my router
and it doesn't complain. But that was all - i still couldn't talk  to
the internet. ifconfig looks how it's supposed to look though.

Any help/ideas? I think my main problem is that I don't know where to
look for error messages or how to test the network connection more
closely. I've no error messages to google.

Cheers,

Mike Dewar