[SlugBug] dual boot maintenance problem

Mike Dewar m.dewar at shef.ac.uk
Sat Nov 1 12:49:26 GMT 2003

Hello all,

I'm running a dual boot system with WinXP and RH9. I have two hard
drives: a windows drive (primary) and a linux drive. The windows drive
is partitioned into c:\ and d:\ ; WinXP is on c:\... What I'd like to do
is get rid of the partition and reformat the windows drive, in order to
clean up the assorted crap that I've accumulated. However, if at all
possible, I'd like to do it without reinstalling Linux... I'm not sure,
but I'm guessing that if I wipe the primary disk it's going to screw
with the boot record thingy, stopping me from getting into Linux. The
only way around this i can see (being a semi-n00b...) is to wipe the
whole computer and start from scratch...

Is there a way to restore grub or lilo without reinstalling linux?

Cheers,

Mike Dewar