[SlugBug] Linux Desktop for an OLD machine (newbie question)

Beneath ishikodzume at beneath.plus.com
Fri Jul 18 23:31:10 BST 2003

Hi,

I'm not going to get into which apps and things you should use, as it's
all a matter of preference and i could go on forever. There has also
been good suggestions already.
I'll just say that a PII with 128mb should be able to run pretty much
anything you can throw at it, including mozilla... do not be
disillusioned by the fact that a lot of modern 'user friendly' are
rather slow and bloated, once you've fiddled around a bit it's easy to
get linux desktop looking very, very nice, on quite a slow machine.

So you have two options really, install RH9 and try and trim it down so
it will run at a sensible speed. Or, start from scratch with a leaner
distro.
Here's my personal choice, you might want to look into them:

Slackware 9.0 (really easy to installed, despite being curses based
installer)
Enlightenment 16 (highly configurable window/session manager)
Eterm (lightweight and nice looking terminal)
GNOME panel 1.4 (use it for launching apps)

That's really all my desktop is... looks very nice indeed, and will run
easily on my PII-350 w/64mb RAM (though on that machine mozilla
sometimes does start thrashing around in swap if i have anything else
running... :\)

Hope that helps. Anyway, just try stuff until you find something you
like... the thing with linux is that you often aren't too impressed with
the GUI side at first, because there is so much choice and everyone has
their preferences. Search and you'll find something you love.

 - Daniel

-=-=-=-
PGP: http://spacecake.hypermart.net/pgp/ishikodzume.pubkey.asc