[SlugBug] Intro and distro choice discussion.

Beneath ishikodzume at beneath.plus.com
Thu Jul 17 18:35:23 BST 2003

> Any thoughts on all of this, anyone have bad/good experience w Gentoo
> ?

Unfortunately not used it too much myself, but i think you can also
download pre-built packages for a lot of things, so the install/upgrade
time doesn't have to be too bad if you're not a performance freak.

If you're kind of in the do-it-yourself mindset, you could use
Slackware... i've not have any problems with keeping it current at all.
Every time a package comes out in the current tree, you can just
download and install it... it's manual of course, but i prefer things
that way anyway. If you keep up with the current tree, when a new
version is released you'll have exactly the same distro as people who
just installed from the ISO when the new one came out.
I personally like to stick to the base of the release (9.0 at the
moment), and upgrade anything i need from source instead of using the
packages... but i know people who do this, and it works very well.

Just my 2p, take it with a pinch of salt if you want as i am a total
Slack advocate :)

 - Daniel