[SlugBug] General thoughts and ideas about the new (B)LUG

Jonathan jonathan at sirtis.org.uk
Wed Jul 16 02:50:42 BST 2003

Beneath wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My apologies for not continuing on a thread, but i only just subscribed
> to the list. The stuff i'm about to say probably doesn't warrant it's
> own thread, but whatever.

Please don't apologise for voicing an opinion, that's what we want to
encourage. More power to your elbow!

> The name? Well, hmm. It really does depend what kind of audience you are
> trying to attract, as seen as the name will have a big impact on how
> people percieve the group. I am very interested in *BSD, though nowhere
> near as experienced as i am with Linux (therefore, it'd be nice for me
> to have BSD gurus among the members)... however, unfortunately the
> public seems to have heard of linux a lot, and not at all of the BSDs.
> So, BSD in the name might confuse people, and they may choose a pure
> linux group over a general free-unix user group.
> However, i am all for it.

My only issue with this is that people will continue to be unaware of
what BSD is about unless it starts getting more exposure.

Perhaps the continuing mumblings about SCO might also allow BSD to gain
more exposure.

> Is this LUG more geared towards helping the newbie, or for experienced
> people to hang out and talk? I am all for it being both, as seen as both
> aspects aren't as good as they could be with the existing LUG (newbies
> are scared away, experienced people get exasperated and bored).

My own opinion, given the content of ShefLUG postings, is that this list
is a list for a group of users. I know qmail inside out, I know next to
nothing about exim/sendmail/postfix. I think we are probably all newbies
in some areas and experts in others, so I'm sure our postings will
reflect the fact.

Please, though, until decided otherwise, it's a BLUG, not a LUG.

> What is going to happen about actual meetings, by the way? Are there any
> free venues in Sheffield really? I guess the meetings will come along
> after the website has been set up, and it has been advertised somewhat?

I'm sure there are pubs with empty function rooms. I know that RSVP on
Division Street will sometimes allow the upstairs room to be used if you
can guarantee a certain size of group - not right for a BLUG meet but a
fine example, nonetheless.

> I think one person funding the group may lead to a misled sense of
> 'ownership' or power... maybe what happened with Richard? :)

Is that how it worked? Ye gads!

- J